The moments immediately following an accident can be hectic and confusing, but they are also the most important.
- Seek medical attention. Your initial priorities should be your well-being and the safety of those around you who may be injured.
- Report the accident. Just like an auto crash, it’s critical to have your accident and subsequent injuries officially documented as quickly as possible.
- Obtain contact information. Get the names, addresses and phone numbers of everyone who was involved with the accident or may have witnessed it.
- Preserve evidence. If you have your camera on you, take as many relevant pictures as possible. Preserve your damaged property before making any repairs. If your clothes are torn or bloodied by the accident, preserve those as well. Begin an accident journal and note as many details of the accident as you can remember. Also note any physical and emotional challenges that arise following your injury.
Bus, Train and Boat Accident Claims
Were you injured on or by a school or public bus, Light Rail, BART, or Amtrak train? Or as a private transit bus passenger? While it is possible to sue the proper authority, there are special considerations when bringing an injury claim against a government entity.
You should contact the Law Offices of John Christopher Maples, PC. Our El Dorado Hills, California based firm has a great track record in pursuing personal injury claims, involving such accidents. Mr. Maples has been Pro Hac Vice counsel for out-of-state Amtrak cases. We will make sure your claim is filed against the correct party, in the correct jurisdiction, and in a timely manner to preserve your rights and maximize your recovery of damages. The time period for filing a claim against a public entity is usually six months, with few exceptions, do not let your time expire.
We represent accident victims from all over California. Set up a free consultation and case evaluation.
Accidents Claims Involving Public Transit
Contrary to what some people think, governmental agencies are not entirely immune to the laws of negligence. You may be entitled to sue for damages, including medical care, lost income, and pain and suffering. However, an inexperienced attorney might miss the filing deadlines, file against the wrong entity, or otherwise fail to protect your right to pursue your claim.
Attorney ohn Christopher Maples will actively investigate and pursue your claim for injuries involving public transportation:
- Car accidents involving buses or trains
- Pedestrians and bicyclists hit at crossings
- Passengers injured while riding or boarding a bus, train, or boat
- Assaults on a bus, train, at a bus stop, or train station
Government Claim For Injury
Generally speaking, you must bring notice of your claim within six months of the accident or forfeit your rights. While you are getting treatment for your injuries, we calendar your case and make sure that it is filed properly before the deadline. Based upon the merits of your claim, the legal counsel for the transit authority or the city/county/state/federal entity will then decide whether to negotiate a settlement or fight the claim. In either case, attorney John Christopher Maples and his legal team will advocate for the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages.